Making New Year’s resolutions is a tradition that I like to try and uphold, however in a realistic method for me. So every year Is different and I do it a different way. This year however, I was having a harder time coming up with a new set of things in a new way, I just didn’t know what to do and that is probably why I’m still awake 2am on 1st January 2018 finishing off my post.
So this year I decided that I would talk about the lessons I have learnt from last year and then list 10 things I want to do/achieve or want to ensure for 2018 (then I guess next year we will see if I have actually done any of those!) so firstly here are the lessons I have learnt from my life in 2017 – some of these I knew but events during the year made me take a lesson from them.
Lessons of 2017: Life Lessons I’ve Learned This Year
- Things don’t always turn out the way I planned, nor the way I think they should. This does not necessarily mean it’s a bad thing overall.
- How people treat you is their karma, not yours. One day they will realise how awful they have been to you.
- There’s something to be said for being in and with nature.
- It will always boggle my mind how some people will exceed the lowest imaginable depth of stupidity, incompetence and nastiness, while others will exceed the highest imaginable pinnacle of kindness, compassion and helpfulness.
- Life is all about the journey and less about the destination.
- Courage is not the absence of fear.
- No one gives a crap if you go to the supermarket in lounging clothes, without makeup and with unwashed hair in a ponytail on top of your head.
- Being called “weird” or “different” or “unique” is the best compliment you can get.
- Sometimes you just have to take a leap of faith and risk it.
- Experiences are infinitely more memorable than stuff.
- Life is usually not easy. When it’s not, share what you’re going through and what you’ve learned. It’ll provide comfort to all around.
- You will get through the worst day of your life so far.
- You can never get time back, don’t waste it.
- If you ask me for my opinion, I’ll be honest. If you don’t really want to know, don’t ask.
- If I want to sing in the car, I’m gonna sing in the car. And maybe even move my body a little. I don’t care who might be looking through my window. They can think whatever they want to think.
- I’ll never get to read all the books I want to read because there are so many good books out there.
- Never say never. I helped out at a after school club that meant children – I actually enjoyed it a lot.
- Saying no is ok.
- Its ok to eat desert first – or even to just eat desert. No one will get hurt. (Chocolate for breakfast is also ok)
- You don’t have to explain your decisions to anyone who isn’t important and you don’t want to.
- 90% of the time when you’re baking or doing craft, the finished product won’t look like the Pinterest picture.
- It takes a lot to make and edit a video for youtube.
- Always take 1 bite of food – you may even like it. This happened to me with melted brie (yet I still can’t stand brie unless its melted!)
- Travel is the best way of learning in the world.
So now what do I want to do or achieve in 2018? Well here it is. 10 things I’m hoping for in 2018.
Things I want to do, achieve or learn in 2018
- Make more memories and have more adventures.
- Use my alarm clock ⏰ more.
- Unsubscribe to all the junk emails I receive.
- Learn BSL
- Attend a concert.
- In the summer – be aware that sun cream needs to be re-applied every couple of hours (I got really burnt last summer).
- Organise my photos.
- Learn more about essential oils.
- Spend more time with my friends.
- Mark happy or special days/occasions/events more. (Maybe with a memory jar to then open this time next year) – I did this in 2015 and it was lovely to read back on the happy times.
What are your New Years resolutions and what was the most important thing you learnt in 2017? comment below.
Once again I would be grateful if you can like, subscribe, and share with your friends and family.